Hi, my name is Paul and I have a problem... I care. I really do. I know it’s inappropriate in this modern age to care, but I can’t stop myself. I go to work, but I am unable to drink the cool-aide. Unlike other employees, I can not reach that nirvana of a zombie-like state that lets me say things like “it’s not my job”, or “it’s somebody else’s problem” or even “it’s always been that way”. If I see something wrong, I want to fix it. If I’m wasting my time with useless work, I feel bad. I watch our society, steeped in unnecessary complexity, decay and shallow deceptions, but I am unable to turn away. I can not say “it doesn’t matter”, or “we shouldn’t help people who can not help themselves”, or generally just funnel money, power or opportunity to my friends, while others are left out in the cold. I try to be more self-centered. I really do. But my delusions keep getting dispersed by empathy; by thinking; by caring. Now I realize that I’m in a minority. Most people...
Comments
Post a Comment